Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Space Between

I was born after the modern computer was invented, however I was trained in typing using typewriter typeset. Learning typewriter typeset equates to one thing in modern word-processing: I use two spaces after the end of sentence punctuation instead of one. Apparently, this is still cool, but going out of style. According to The Chicago Manual of Style (1), the AP Stylebook (2), and the Modern Language Association (3) all recommend using one space after a period at the end of a sentence. Furthermore, page designers have written in begging me to encourage people to use one space because if you send them a document with two spaces after the periods, they have to go in and take all the extra spaces out.
-More about that on the famed Grammar Girl website

So, I know it's a hard habit to break, but I suppose I will give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment